Walkatjara Art is Mutitjulu Community’s’ Art Centre, owned and directed by Anangu. The name Walkatjara is a Pitjantjatjara/Yankunytjatjara word. ‘Walka’ means “designs, meaning marks” and ‘tjara’ means “having”.
Walkatjara is located at the Cultural Centre in the Uluru – Kata Tjuta National Park. Visitors to the Park are welcome to come to the Art Centre, see artists at work, learn about Anangu culture and the stories behind the paintings. By purchasing artworks from Walkatjara, visitors are able to directly support Mutitjulu Community.
Here at Walkatjara, artists from Mutitjulu create vibrant paintings that depict local Tjukurpa stories. Through the sale of these paintings, artists earn an income in a meaningful and culturally appropriate way.
Walkatjara is a not for profit community enterprise. Artists receive 60% of the paintings’ sale price, and the remaining 40% is reinvested into the running costs of the Art Centre.
Artists take pride in their work and in their Art Centre, and are strong advocates for local culture. We know the Tjukurpa stories related to this area and are happy to share what is appropriate with visitors. We often receive positive feedback from visitors, some even say visiting Walkatjara and learning about Anangu culture was the highlight of their trip to Uluru!
Pukulpa pitjama tjunguringkula palantjaku tjukurpa
Uluru-kata Tjuta Cultural Centre
Northern Territory, Australia